Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sullivan - Ch. 11

Sullivan spends a lot of chapter 11 talking about the context of “camp,” and symbolism of the generic gay, male representation of imitating feminine characteristics, and how the stigma has transpired into popular culture as a seemingly accurate representation. He also spends a lot of depth talking about the context of “Batman Forever,” which apparently has a lot of underlying homoerotic symbolism that I was unaware of. Another representation of “queering popular culture” was generally highlighted in the Austin Powers movies, which is seen to many as a satire of the US perception of homosexual stigma. Has anyone heard of the BLO social experiment of switching the voice boxes of the Barbie’s and the G.I. Joe’s? I am shocked that I have never heard of this and nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I read that someone took the initiative of actually doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment