Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Public Sex, Public Knowledge

As I was reading the chapter from Warner, I was really just kind of amazed at the arguments presented (in a good way). I think the part that stood out to me the most was the following: "Autonomy requires more than civil liberty; it requires the circulation and accessibility of sexual knowledge, along with the public elaboration of a social world that can make less alienated relations possible." My research deals somewhat with the alienation that occurs in modern society, so this definition hit something very interesting for me. I think there is something undeniably true about needing more than just liberty to be truly autonomous. Liberty without open access to knowledge is useless; that includes sexual knowledge. This ties into the thoughts Warner presents about the exchange of sexual knowledge within queer circles as well as the governmental and societal crackdown on both what can be known and what can be said. If you think about all the times we edit ourselves in "public" I think you can see what I mean.

Therefore, instead of a question, I propose a challenge. I propose that we all stop editing ourselves in public. I know that's not as easy as it sounds, so maybe we can just all start with saying one thing that we want or need to say that we would usually refrain from saying. What might be accomplished by simply refusing to censor ourselves?

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry I have sex in public all the time already and due to lack of self censorship I am constantly being asked to leave from public establishments!

    ReplyDelete