Monday, April 16, 2012

Sullivan and Gay Batman


First, I have to say when I read Wertham's hypothesis about Batman and homoeroticism, I was skeptical. Reading the comic books, playing the video games, and watching the newer movies always gave me a permeating sense of hegemonic masculinity. Thinking about it more, however, Batman does not kill people, which is the ultimate manhood act. His character traits do conflict with stereotypical masculine behavior. What I thought was most interesting was how she showed that even though Batman himself displays homoerotic behavior, the "campier" characters are vilified and often take their homoerotic roles over the top to emphasize that this is what you should not do or be. It is to the extreme that one assumes Batman is straight because his behavior is the polar opposite of his villains.

I wanted to get your all's opinion on this theory, because I have read it to multiple groups of people who would argue against it. I think she made a sound argument though.

No comments:

Post a Comment