Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sexing and the Body

I had already researched and discussed this topic a bit in the past but I have to say, this article still disturbed me. Its hard to imagine how much is kept from us, even in such an important situation as the medical details of our children. I cant even explain the rage I feel at the thought of doctors lying to parents about how common these issues are or how serious what they are doing is. I feel as if instead of making a snap decision, however based on what chromosomes and what parts are there, they should wait a while for the child to mature to certain extent so if the child doesn't in fact need a series of complicated surgeries and hormone treatments, they wont have done something unnecessary. They cant know what sex a person is going to be at birth and it makes me sick to think of how many people have been assigned to something they will never feel comfortable as. This is, of course, not even delving into the fact that this shouldn't even be an issue. Society has such strict and ridiculous gender constructs that they are forcing on these babies and parents that don't know or are too frightened to fight back. This whole thing sickens me and I hate thinking of how many lives are being ruined.

I guess my question is, do you guys think there is a possibility of educating people of these statistics and practices and causing a change within medical practice to correct it. If so, how?

1 comment: