Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ladders and "Village" People

"A Queer Ladder of Social Mobility", whew, what a read! Gender appropriate queers on top and trans folks down at the bottom, it makes perfect sense. I believe this type of social mobility latter manifests (in some way or another) itself in every group of people. For example, I'm sure if Sinem Ketenci would have kept her veganism to herself, she would have her PhD right now instead of a pending lawsuit. Overall, I enjoyed reading about it. It's always interesting to learn about things you know exist through a new lens.

Gay New York! The title says it all, this historical journey through the "gay twenties" was like riding a roller coaster that you never want to get off of! Ok.....so maybe that's overdoing it....But still interesting!

So what's my question? Well it's not some hypothetical situational stuff like usual. I couldn't help but think this when I was reading Gay New York.......

Is this why they called themselves "The Village People"? (You know....YMCA....In the Navy....you know what I'm talking about!) It just instantly made sense to me, if I'm wrong and this is inappropriate feel free to correct/assault/straight up school my ass in the comments!

How's that for a question?

2 comments:

  1. Is it bad that I pondered the same question after reading it? haha It makes sense! Greenwich Village was the place to be open about their sexuality and still have normal lifestyles....and you have The Village People!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know ha ha ha! I can't help it! That's my question!

    ReplyDelete